HG Survivor

Followers

Cluster Maps

Recent Visitors

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

I See YOU!

Saturday, September 8, 2012

i carried a watermelon

One of my favorite things about Lake Lure is the fact that they filmed the majority of the movie, Dirty Dancing, there. I think I have mentioned this already, so y'all should know that this is one of my fave movies. It still hurts my heart that Patrick Swayze died so young. Seriously.

It is no exaggeration when I tell you that my sisters and I probably watched that movie ~711,000 times growing up. We shouldn't have been allowed to watch it, but we were! And it was our fave. Johnny was my first love.....

We spent part of a rainy day during our recent vacation there by taking a guided boat tour of Lake Lure. It was awesome to learn all the history of the area, and I was ridiculously giddy when the pontoon boat took us into a little cove and showed us this:


Those are THE stairs where Baby "carried a watermelon" at the beginning of the movie. Chris looked at me like I had lost my mind when I got so excited about this on the tour. LOL. I loved, loved, loved this movie! The tour guide also pointed out that the water there on the shore is where they filmed the lift scene in the water. Remember this?


It was a high point of our vacation for me. The kids loved riding in the boat, and it was such a nice way to spend one of the cooler days when we didn't feel like swimming in the water.

The stairs and this view are two of the sights that I will remember most about our week there. We were riding along when the tour guide turned the boat around and announced, "There's our million dollar view".

This is the most beautiful spot of the lake. When we were sitting there in the boat it was almost like we were in another country instead of in a small lake town in NC. It lit-ter-ral-ly took your breathe away. That's all I can say. This picture just does not do it justice.



The next day we rented a private boat, and Chris kept driving by this spot "one more time" just for me. I just love every-single-thing about this place. It was such a great week!

Stay tuned for a post dedicated solely to our week long attempt at catching a fish! Any guess on who finally catches one? And I'll have the pictures to prove it!

No comments:

Deciduous Heather